Ideas for a Buzz Lightyear Cake
The Benich Family
One popular way to get Buzz's figure is to make a marshmallow fondit and then cut the figure out, then fill in the details with more pieces of fondit, food coloring or with frosting.
Another idea is to make a Buzz Lightyear rocket cake by baking your cake a football-shaped cake pan and another in a square pan. Cut the square cake into the shape of the bottom part of the rocket, or for the flame, and the football-shaped cake becomes the body of the rocket. This cake illustrates what the football-shaped rocket can look like - Awesome!
Like the idea of a Buzz Lightyear cake that is shaped like the space ranger himself? Wilton makes a fantastic cake pan that looks just like Buzz from the arms up. Reviews have been very positive in that amateur bakers who don't have cake decorating experience can still turn out a really good looking cake for their child's birthday party. One parent remarked that you need to expect to spend 5-6 hours total, from preparing and baking the cake to frosting it, start to finish. Save 17% on this cake pan when you buy it here.
The only drawback worth noting is the lack of any place to put your birthday greetings. That problem is solved by baking a sheet cake and putting the Buzz Lightyear cake on top of that, then writing your birthday greetings on the sheet cake layer. You might even have room for this cute Buzz Lightyear candle!
Another mom who liked the Buzz-shaped cake idea happened to have a super hero cake pan already. She just baked her cake in the super hero cake pan and iced it like Buzz Lightyear. It turned out looking good!
The next Buzz Lightyear birthday cake was made by a frozen buttercream transfer. Here are the steps to create a cake like this one for your own Buzz Lightyear party!
|Photo courtesy of
1. Find a picture online or in a coloring book of the character you want to replicate in icing and blow it up to the correct size to fit the cake shape.
2. Once you have the correct size, you lay down a sheet of freezer-safe glass over the picture. Now you tape some wax paper over the top of the glass.
3. Trace the outline of the picture with a #1 or #2 tip with black icing, beginning with the more difficult, more detailed areas first.
4. Then fill in the picture with the buttercream icing colors you wish.
5. Once you've filled in your entire piece, place it in the freezer for up to 30 minutes so the frosting can firm up.
6. Remove the tape from the glass, then flip the picture over onto the cake, then carefully remove the wax paper from the transfer. Many cake artists like to pipe in a border around the transfer picture .
|Photo courtesy of
The cake on the left is another example of what you can create with a Buzz Lightyear theme. Getting some good ideas yet?
If you'd rather use a more simple method there are some great looking Buzz cake toppers available. This Buzz Lightyear cake topper shows Buzz aiming his laser. On a simple round or rectangle cake, it would look fabulous - you can personalize your cake in so many ways.
Prefer a round cake? This mini Buzz Lightyear cake topper measures 3" tall when placed on cake. Create a 2-layer cake with a 4" round cake pan or small bunt cake, and this petite topper will fit brilliantly.
|Toy Story Party Supplies||Toy Story Toys||Toy Story Games|
Best Pixar Books
Disney Pixar is a trademark of its respective company.
This site is not associated with them, I'm a Pixar fan just sharing my hobby!